Dr Heather Connelly
Heather’s research concerns art-and-translation and linguistic hospitality and is particularly interested in how art practice can be used to examine the performativity of translation and engage people in the complex issues of translation, language learning and more broadly transcultural communication. Working with text, sound and the voice, Connelly’s artistic research explores our relationship with language(s) from multiple perspectives, often working collaboratively. During an AHRC Cultural Engagement Fellowship in 2016, she established Translation Zone(s),toencourage and facilitate transdisciplinary research in this field, devising works, events and exhibitions in UK, Europe and Hong Kong. She has recently published two articles on her research: ‘Translation Zone(s): A Stuttering: An Experiential Approach to Linguistic Hospitality’. Open Cultural Studies, 2 (1). 2018. pp. 162-174. ‘Beyond Representation: Translation Zone(s) and Intersemiotic Translation’ Madeleine Campbell and Ricarda Vidal (Eds). 2019.Translating across Sensory and Linguistic Borders: Intersemiotic Journeys between Media.Palgrave Macmillanand is currently co-authoring a paper discussing her collaborative practice with translator and academic Gabriela Saldahna for a special issue of Targeton ‘Translaboration’ 2020.
Heather Connellyis an artist/researcher and currently Senior Lecturer at University of Lincoln, Early Career Representative for Cultural Literacy Europe, member of the Collaborative Research Strand of the Midlands Higher Education and Culture Forum, Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy and was research fellow at Birmingham City University following her PhD by Fine Art Practice at Loughborough University.
Dr Rhiannon Jones
In parallel to this activity Rhiannon is writing a chapter for Intellect Playtext Series –The Trilogy: Acts of Dramaturgy and co-editing the publication InDialogue: an anthology.
- Practice as Research
- Dialogic Practices
- Social Activism and Engagement
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Research models for creative arts practice
Rhiannon has a PhD by practice from Nottingham Trent University (2016). In which her thesis The Artistry of Conversation looked at the performative and tactile nature of Conversation.
Rhiannon’s research continues to be focused on the artistic and spacial curation of conversation, and the design of dialogue within the arts.
She co-founded InDialogue (2012 – present) an International biannual symposium for artists, researchers and Industry, to explore the use of dialogue through practice. She has a keen interest in performative and socially engaged practices. She is also interested in new modes of artistic documentation that can be considered as practice.
She often works closely with Industry and Academia in order to generate spaces for conversation between HE and Creative Cultural Organisations. Her research process is always collaborative and typically the work makes manifest in the form of exhibitions, published texts and symposia operating both Nationally and Internationally.
She is also a co-founder of Thinking Through Practice Research Group.
Membership of professional bodies
- Resident Artist at Primary, Nottingham, (2012 – present)
- Member of the International contemporary art working group, Cumulus (2013 – present).
- U21C invited working group member, Nottingham Trent University (2014 – 2016).
- Steering group member S-CEP (2017 – 18)
- Synapse Arts steering group (2012-2014)
- BA Hons Theatre (First Class Honors) – De Montfort University, Leicester
- MA Live Art and Performance (Distinction) – Nottingham Trent University
- PhD Nottingham Trent University
Recent exhibitions and shows
- Horizon, Curator, Surface Gallery, Nottingham, UK
- Inherited Cities, General Manager Third Angel, The Crucible, Sheffield Theatres, UK
- Design without walls,Cumulus, Guest Speaker, Ecole Boulle, Paris
- Parenthesis (working title) (2014 – Present) Collaboration with artist Traci Kelly under the name of Kelly&Jones
- I predict a riot Invited author for exhibition publication for Jimmy Cauty’s ADP Riot Tour, New Art Exchange
- Extract from The Beginning (2012) by Michael Pinchbeck. Devised and performed with Nicki Hobday and Ollie Smith. Delivered at You, The Audience (2017), Royal Exchange, Manchester by Michael Pinchbeck and Rhiannon Jones.
- Dance4 season launch, guest facilitator in conversation with dancer and choreographer Roberta Jean, Dance4, hosted by Dance4 and Backlit, Nottingham
- InDialogue, founder and Co-curator, Nottingham Contemporary, Dance4, New Art Exchange, Nottingham City Council, Birmingham City University, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- InDialogue, Rhiannon Jones In Conversation with Grant Kester, Nottingham Contemporary.
- InDialogue, Dr Elena Cologni and Rhiannon Jones (paper presentation), Nottingham Contemporary.
- On the Horizon, curator of artist residency for Chloé Déchery (Fr) and Jane McKernan (AUS) in collaboration with Dance4 and InDialogue
- The Man Who Flew Into Space From His Apartment Exhibition, assistant curator, The Collection Lincoln, supported by hÅb Arts (Manchester) and Lincoln Performing Arts Centre. Developed at First Bite, Forest Fringe and Hatch. Supported by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
- Parenthesis (working title) explorations and collaboration with artist Traci Kelly, Chalk Pit, Cambridge
- The Man Who Flew Into Space From His Apartment, assistant Director, supported by hÅb Arts (Manchester) and Lincoln Performing Arts Centre. Developed at First Bite, Forest Fringe and Hatch. Supported by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
- Wonderland Story Poles Permanent Public Art Commission, Queens Walk, Nottingham
- InDialogue, founder and Co-curator, Nottingham Contemporary, Dance4, Primary, Backlit, Loughborough University, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- InDialogue, Rhiannon Jones In Conversation with Grant Kester, Nottingham Contemporary.
- InDialogue, Panel facilitator Professor John Newling (Uk), WockhenKlausur (Austria), The Harrisons (USA) (paper), Nottingham Contemporary.
- InDialogue Residency, curator of artist residency for Rajni Shah and Karen Christopher, in collaboration with Backlit and InDialogue
- Wonderland,creative director Various BEVOCAL events, in partnership with New Art Exchange supported by Nottingham City Council.
- Wonderland Meadows Older Persons Exhibition, creative, Bromley House, Nottingham, supported by Nottingham City Council.
- The Drawing Board, artist residency (2014) Kelly & Jones, Primary, Nottingham.
- The Drawing Board, exhibition, Kelly & Jones, Primary, Nottingham.
- The Drawing Board in conversation with Kelly & Jones facilitated by Dr Michael Pinchbeck, Primary, Nottingham.
- Light Night, commissioned artist, supported by Nottingham City Council, Nottingham
- Freedom in Air, resident artist commissioned by The Cutting Room & Nottingham Playhouse to deliver a community engagement project for national touring production of The Kite Runner.
- Research and the Researcher postgraduate research conference, curatorial team, Nottingham Trent University
- Mediated Riots, artist,commissioned by Synapse Arts & New Art Exchange.
- The Art of Conversation, artist, touring solo exhibition Backlit, UK & Georgia, Athens USA
- Wonderland 1, creative director, project in partnership with New Art Exchange supported by Nottingham City Council.
- InDialogue, founder and Co-curator, Nottingham Contemporary, Primary, Vessel, Loughborough University, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Dialogical Self,International Conference, paper presentation, Georgia USA
- The Art of Conversation: Uncovering Artistic Inspiration. In: Defining Contributions: Inspiration Driving Original Research, Paper and publication. Nottingham Trent University
- AHRC funded Research Project, New Research Trajectories, Loughbourgh University, Nottingham Trent University
- Radical Aesthetics, paper presentation, Loughborough University
- Archipelago,artist Bonington Gallery, Nottingham Trent University.
- Causality and Performativity of Scars , paper and publication, Nottingham Trent University.
- Discourse / Conversation / Communication, International conference, Paper presentation, Loughborough University, UK
Experience in industry
Rhiannon has been the Marketing Director for Backlit Gallery, Nottingham and General Manger of Third Angel Theatre Company both ACE Portfolio Organisations.
She has produced, curated and toured works Nationally and Internationally, most recently in Gent, Belgium, Athens, Georgia, Sweden, Denmark, France, Italy and USA. She has regular conversations with arts industry and professionals and is active within the arts industry. She also has produced arts residencies as part of InDialogue in partnership with Dance4 in 2014 and 2016. Rhiannon co-founded InDialogue for industry and artists and researcher to come together biannually to discuss dialogic modes of artistic practice and research.
She has made work that has exhibited at venues such as Nottingham Contemporary, New Art Exchange, Sheffield Theatres, Backlit Gallery, Bromley House, Nottingham City Council, Little Theatre Leicester, Surface Gallery. Rhiannon has successfully fundraised for major arts projects from ACE and Trusts and Foundations.
In the media
Various regional and national print, radio and television interviews, examples including:
- BBC Radio Nottingham
- BBC Radio Derby
- East Midlands Today BBC News
- NottsTV (various).
- Kemet FM
- Nottingham Post
- West Bridgford Wire
- The Times
- Left Lion
- Rhiannon is currently is writing a chapter for Intellect Playtext Series –The Trilogy: Acts of Dramaturgy and co-editing the publication InDialogue.
- I predict a riot (2017) Invited author for RIOT publication for Jimmy Cauty’s ADP Riot Tour, New Art Exchange (Online: http://www.theartistryofconversation.com).
- JONES, R.E., 2016. The artistry of conversation. PhD, Nottingham Trent University.
- Artistic Research and Professional Practice in the City (2015) Cumulus, Milan, Italy. (online: http://www.cumulusassociation.org/the-virtuous-circle-publication).
- Engaging Arts through Empowering Acts (2014) workshop facilitator at University Averio, Portugal. (Online: http://www.cumulusassociation.org/cumulus-working-papers-aveiro-3214/).
- Acting Locally Thinking Globally (2013). Co-authored with Carol Jones, Cumulus, Kalmar, Sweden.
- The Dialogical Self (2012). The Art of Conversation, University Georgia, USA.
- Causality and Performativity of Scars (2011) Nottingham Trent University.
- The Art of Conversation: Uncovering Artistic Inspiration. In: Defining Contributions: Inspiration Driving Original Research, (2012). Nottingham Trent University, pp. 59-65. (Online: http://definingcontributions.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/rpc_defining- _contributions_publication.pdf ).
- InDialogue: An International Symposium for Artists and Researchers. Co-founder and curator and editor of archive (online:https://indialogue2014.wordpress.com/programme/)Supported by Nottingham Contemporary & New Art Exchange, Nottingham Trent University, Loughborough University, Birmingham City University and in partnership with Dance4 and Nottingham City Council (2012-2016).
- Loughborough University, Social Sciences International Conference Discourse, Communication, Conversation, Paper Publication and Conference Speaker (2012).
- Nottingham Trent Conference Defining Contributions, paper publication and speaker (2012).
- JONES, R., 2012. The Art of Conversation In: Defining Contributions: Inspiration Driving Original Research, 18 May 2012. Nottingham Trent University, pp. 25-30.
- SLADE, R., 2012. The Art of Conversation: Uncovering Artistic Inspiration. In: Defining Contributions: Inspiration Driving Original Research, 18 May 2012. Nottingham Trent University, pp. 59-65.(Available here: http://definingcontributions.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/rpc_defining-_contributions_publication.pdf )
Artist website: Theartistryofconversation.com